PURE EN/LTF D
a PURE sensation …
PURE is a true Serial Class glider with exceptional performance and the ease of handling that is becoming a trademark of AirDesign gliders.
Stephan Stiegler, the AirDesign designer and test pilot has one aim in mind as he develops new gliders; the glider must have good handling and have top level performance in its class.
The know-how gained from the PURE-R, Open Class project has allowed Stephan to develop an exceptionally safe Serial wing with improved stability in turbulence and maximum performance.
The development team have used the latest technologies taken from the PURE-R and designed the serial PURE for maximum performance. This know-how has allowed us to develop an exceptionally safe wing with improved stability in turbulence. PURE absorbs even strong turbulence when accelerated but in the event of a collapse the wing is easy to control.
PURE is aimed at recreational, cross-country and competition pilots.
Pilots who are looking for the maximum performance in the Serial LTF/EN D class with no compromise on passive safety or agility, and who rightly demand precise handling, will feel totally at home with the PURE.
PURE is simply a true Serial Class glider; suitable for experienced pilots moving up into the LFT/EN D class as well as those who may be unsure about the latest generation LFT/EN D competition wings.
All pilots flying in this class should be experienced and flying regularly in all conditions.
"Handling-wise, it’s agile enough to be fun to fly, without being overly dynamic and losing performance. Security-wise it’s solid and reassuring in turbulence and seems to get even more so the faster you push it Gliding with the Pure is possibly the highlight of the entire package\"
Bob Drury: Cross Country Magazine Edition 138
Our development team used the latest 2-line technology in the PURE. The advantages are clear; increased performance with higher stability and control.
An innovative new airfoil and cell structure reduces line consumption and ensures maximum performance in all conditions. The design incorporates stiffer sections in the leading and trailing edge which increase stability. Flexibility in other areas provides the responsive handling and good climb characteristics.
PURE is a true 3-line wing made exclusively of race lines.
At take off the wing rises evenly and easily with little effort, accelerating progressively. A small dab on the brake may be needed to control the surge in windy conditions.
PURE reacts to brake input in a coordinated and precise way. When needed, PURE will bank up on a wingtip, however, the natural turn is flat and efficient, which imparts the excellent climbing characteristics.
PURE efficiently bites into thermals without hesitation, or rocking-back. The wing gives the sensation of being drawn toward the strongest lift and allows the pilot to adjust the turn radius in thermals very instinctively and centre within the core. Horizontal brake-shifting allows the pilot to control the turn and climb with minimal dive in all conditions.
PURE continuously provides good but not excessive feedback making the handling feel very reassuring. Turbulence can easily be sensed but the reaction from the wing is comfortably dampened, allowing the pilot time to cope with the conditions. PURE feels very resistant to pitching or collapse.
The rear riser, \'C-balls\' steering system helps keeps pitch oscillation under control and tune the glide. Light pressure on the C-balls allows the pilot to \'feel\' the wing during transitions and catch any unexpected high-speed deflations before they happen.
• Technology straight from the Open Class.
• 3-Line-System: a 3-line concept with unsheathed ‘race’ lines.
• Polyamide rods in the leading edge keep the profile in perfect shape and improve stability and launch characteristics.
• 3D Cut: a technical sail cutting method is used for all panels across the leading edge area. This produces a very \'clean\' profile with improved air flow and increased performance.
• Mini-ribs in the trailing edge improve surface finish and reduce drag.
• The 2-in-1 progressive brake line layout improves climb characteristics. The centre brake fan is attached slightly in from the trailing edge to improve climb. At the tips, the line runs through small rings on the trailing edge to gather the tip and assist precise turning whatever the conditions.
• Brake line design gives the pilot the option to vary the turn and adapt to different flying conditions. This is achieved by shifting the brake (hand) either to the inside or outside which results in a steeper or flatter turning.
• Control balls on the C riser allow fine control of the wing while gliding and improved handling in turbulence.
• Ronstan and Riley pulleys on the speed system for smoother acceleration.
• Performance style reinforced 12mm risers, adjustable brake handles with swivels and dirt-holes at the wing tips complete the quality finish.
Top Sail: Porcher Skytex 40
Bottom Sail: Dominico 30D
Ribs: Dominico 30D hard
Top lines: EDELRID 8000/U-070 and 090
Middle lines: EDELRID 8000/U-130
Main lines: EDELRID 8000/U-230 and 190
Riser: COUSIN 12mm Technora
Maillons: 4,3mm JOO-TECH-Korea
• I was immediately at home under this wing,
• PURE is very informative, intuitive, inspires confidence and has great handling in thermals and in turbulence.
• For sure the right wing for someone who wants to step up from an LTF/EN C wing to a higher class.
• The overall feeling of comfort allowed me to handle turbulence much better.
• Pure has excellent climb and it\'s easy to hold the centre of the thermals.
• An absolutely awesome the feeling of stability at full speed (pulley-to-pulley)!
• PURE flies though turbulence like a knife!
• PURE has very good ability in head wind.
• It’s an outstandingly good product. Performance-wise it is undoubtedly jostling neck-and-neck with the leading wings in the Serial Class.
What the magazines say:
Cross Country Magazine . Edition 138 November/December 2011
Summary: The AirDesign PURE isn\'t just a fantastic opening gambit from a brand new manufacturer, it\'s an outstandingly good product too.
Handling-wise its agile enough to be fun to fly, without being overly dynamic and losing performance. Security-wise it\'s solid and reassuring in turbulence and seems to get even more so the faster you push it.
We liked most: The short, sharp handling and taut, loaded feeling
We\'d recommend it to: Serious XC pilots and competition pilots
What comes in the box?
AirDesign AirPack concertina bag
AirDesign glider bag (approx.160litre capacity)
Folder with repair tape, manual and AirDesign stickers